Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Recent Animal and Tree Drawings

This one is done with one of those awful Micron pens but it was what I had handy at the time.  This is drawn from a 19th century wood engraved illustration, but I made it a little more my own through distortion of his facial expression and pose.  I've only seen owls out in the wild maybe three or four times. 



Beetle in Ball Point.  As I often do, I just started scribbling with a ball point until an image starts to emerge.  This time, I grabbed a reference book on bugs and used that to give this a more naturalistic edge.  Probably about an hour on this one.



Once again, I started scribbling with my pen until I started seeing negative shapes that looked like the spaces in between bare branches.  



Stylized bull in fountain pen.  This was just me playing with shape, pattern and value.


No comments:

Post a Comment